Coming to Canada
After the regulatory authority governing your profession in British Columbia (BC) has advised you that you are eligible for a provisional licence, you can apply for a job in your profession in BC. Health Match BC will then assist you in applying to the health authority in the region of your choice.
When you receive a full-time offer of employment and are eligible to work in British Columbia, your prospective employer will initiate the immigration process. You have two immigration options: a temporary work permit, or Federal Skilled Worker status.
Temporary Work Permit
This allows you to work in Canada for a specific employer for up to three years. It is renewable. It also allows spouses to apply for work in Canada.
To get a temporary work permit, you need to:
- download an application form from Citizenship and Immigration Canada
- complete all of the forms including the documents from your prospective employer - and gather all of the required documents
- submit the application and the required fees to the closest Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate or the nearest Citizenship and Immigration Canada Visa Office.
Please note: If you submit an incomplete immigration application, your application will be returned to you.
Citizenship and Immigration Canada will then:
- mail you a letter confirming that your application has been received. You will also be given a Medical Report Application form to be taken to a designated medical practitioner. (A list of practitioners will be sent with the form.)
- mail you a letter informing you of the outcome of the work permit application. Successful work permit applications are provided with a letter of introduction and instructions on the next steps to be taken.
Applications for temporary work permits take approximately four to five months to be processed.
Federal Skilled Worker Status
You may also apply to immigrate to Canada as a Federal Skilled Worker. Please go to the Skilled Workers and Professionals section of the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.
BC Provincial Nominee Program
To apply for the Provincial Nominee Program, please complete all the necessary forms, and fax to Health Match BC at 604.736.5963 or email to PNP@healthmatchbc.org. Please ensure that all the form fields in your application are completed to avoid delay in the processing of your application.